Tom Hardison: How To Build Great Teams With Generative Leadership
Tom Hardison helps leaders build great teams and organizations with a culture of collective leadership so they can scale from 200-1000+ employees. He led change and business growth initiatives at Hewlett-Packard for 28 years, a period when revenue grew from 5 billion to 127 billion. He now uses this extensive experience to guide leaders and their teams to leverage the generative power of people working together to achieve sustainable growth.
In this episode, Dean Newlund and Tom Hardison discuss:
- Should you prioritize getting customers or capacity?
- Starting with clarity of purpose
- Inspiring accountability within your team
- Setting a great purpose
- Get more customers while building infrastructure to support that growth. If you start doing it and you don’t have the capacity, you’ll disappoint people. You need to develop the capacity as you are scaling to customers.
- Clarity of purpose will be the source of unity in an organization. Start with the purpose and the core values and build up your plans and strategies from that foundation.
- One of the things that could make teams most effective is by having a culture of people that can step forward with courageous authenticity and take responsibility for their actions.
- The purpose that every member of your organization embodies must be something that can’t be fulfilled by one person alone, it has to transcend the individual. The purpose must be to change the world in a great way.
“Adding more people can add more complexity and what’s most important is to get a well-functioning system with the people you have today. Get a collective leadership system in place so that you have a cohesive way of acting as one coherent organization.” — Tom Hardison
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Tom Hardison:
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/
Show notes by Podcastologist: Justine Talla
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.