Tim Kachuriak: Understanding Why Your Customers Give
Tim is the Founder of a cutting-edge fundraising research lab that is home to the world’s largest online fundraising experiment library. Tim has spent the majority of his life digging into the question of “What makes people give?”.
In this episode, Dean Newlund and Tim Kachuriak discuss:
- Appealing to potential clients and donors
- Establishing exclusivity for your organization
- What makes solving for clarity difficult
- How to establish credibility
- Your value proposition has to be created based on appeal. It has to be framed from customer-centric logic, not organizational-centric logic.
- There are many ways you can establish exclusivity for your organization. Communicate to your clients that you serve specific groups, people from specific places, or from specific backgrounds.
- Clarity is one of the hardest things to figure out for an organization. We know who our organization is because we are in it and that’s what makes it hard to communicate our organization’s identity to uninitiated potential clients. The curse of knowledge makes it difficult to define who exactly our organization is.
- Credibility comes down to what are the facts, the figures, and the data that prove that these different claims of value are true. It could come in the form of case studies, third-party endorsements, or third-party credibility indicators.
“The hardest thing that we find for any organization for-profit [or] nonprofit is to figure out how to solve for clarity. This is because of the curse of knowledge. We live inside of our organizations, we live and breathe this stuff every single day. And that means that we look at it differently from that of our uninitiated, potential customer or donor.” — Tim Kachuriak
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Tim Kachuriak:
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/
Show notes by Podcastologist: Justine Talla
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.