Sanjiv Augustine: The Agile VMO – A Team of Teams for Lean Portfolio Management and Adaptive Governance
Sanjiv Augustine is the Founder and CEO of LitheSpeed, LLC and the Agile Leadership Academy. Sanjiv is an entrepreneur, industry-leading Agile and Lean expert, author, speaker, management consultant, and trainer. For over 30 years, Sanjiv has served as a trusted advisor to executives and management at leading firms, including Capital One, The Capital Group, CNBC, Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, Huntington Bank, The Motley Fool, National Geographic, Nationwide Insurance, Royal Bank of Canada, Samsung, and Walmart. Sanjiv is the host of the Agile Caravanserai podcast and the author of the books “From PMO to VMO: Managing for Value Delivery”, “Managing Agile Projects”, “Scaling Agile: A Lean JumpStart”. As well as several publications including, Transitioning to Agile Project Management, The Lean-Agile PMO: Using Lean Thinking to Accelerate
In this episode, Dean Newlund and Sanjiv Augustine discuss:
- Making an agile strategy
- Fixing workflow problems
- Working as a team of teams
- Retraining leadership focus
- Lay out a strategy, or plan out scenarios, make sure the work in your portfolio is working and that you’re focusing on the right things, break down big projects into smaller manageable chunks.
- If you can’t see it, you can’t measure it. If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it. Make sure that all the work is visible and figure out if you’re working on too much stuff.
- Work as a team of teams, or a cross-functional group. Figure out how you can make the departments of your organization work together and how they can help each other complete goals. With unity like this, you can keep the value flowing, not only in one department but throughout the whole organization.
- As a middle manager, you get rewarded for being able to get stuff done and push your own agenda, but as a leader at an executive level, what will grant you the most success is if you learn to work more collaboratively and tap into the genius of other people.
“Getting things done more quickly, getting the right things done, and doing it in a fun and collaborative way.” — Sanjiv Augustine
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Sanjiv Augustine:
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/