Rod Ray: Building a Culture Of Trust To Foster Intuitive Thinking and Innovation
Rod Ray is the former Chief Executive Officer at Bend Research, Inc., where he worked for over 30 years. BRI was purchased in 2014 by Capsugel, and Rod remains involved as a member of their Scientific and Business Advisory Board.
During his time at Bend Research, Rod held numerous positions specializing in the development and commercialization of a wide range of products. He was instrumental in directing the management of large-scale programs to advance pharmaceutical compounds through the development process to commercialization and served as the primary management contact for client companies.
In addition to his expertise in advancing pharmaceutical processes and products, Rod has extensive experience in commercializing diverse products for the electronics, energy, medical, agricultural, and space industries.
Rod is currently a consultant and board member for various pharmaceutical and technology companies. He holds a master’s degree and a doctorate in chemical engineering from the University of Colorado and a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering from Oregon State University. He is a registered Professional Engineer in Colorado and Oregon, holds 23 U.S. patents, and has 46 publications.
In this episode Dean and Guest discuss:
- Encouraging innovation by empowering your team, being supportive, and making room for mistakes.
- Thinking of your company as a separate entity, with its own needs to find and serve your vision
- How the first impressions people have with your company set the tone for the culture you have created.
- Surrounding yourself with people you trust, and/or building a culture of trust to encourage and foster intuition.
- The more trust, support, and respect someone feels from their leadership to go forth and use their innate ability, the better it’s going to go.
- Having a strong, clearly communicated vision is essential for cultivating a culture of innovation and growth.
- When things seem dysfunctional, ask questions, find the truth, and work from there.
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.