Rick West: Tips For Aspiring Entrepreneurs
Rick West is the CEO and Co-Founder of Field Agent, a global Work-On-Demand Platform.
Before starting Field Agent, Rick worked 16 years with Procter & Gamble in various assignments in the United States, Hong Kong, and Bangkok. Since leaving P&G, he has been a start-up Entrepreneur for 19 years.
Rick has co-founded multiple start-ups, including the Northstar Partnering Group, CORE4 Research, JOYN, and most recently Field Agent. He is a mentor and speaker within the entrepreneurial community and an active board member. He is also a member of the global Endeavor Entrepreneur network. Rick is an 8 wing 7 and has a BBA in Personnel and Industrial Relations with a minor in Economics from the University of Kentucky.
In this episode, Dean Newlund and Rick West discuss:
- Creating a solution
- From corporate to entrepreneur
- Creative people in the corporate space
- Testing your idea
- Explore different innovative ways in which you can provide a service that not many companies currently do.
- Some mindset shifts are needed when shifting from the corporate world to the entrepreneurial world. One of the most important ones is that in the entrepreneurial world, you need somebody’s help in order to succeed.
- Someone creative will find it hard to stay in the corporate space. If you’re one of those people that have an entrepreneurial spirit, you’ll have to decide if you are able to pursue your idea now or after you retire.
- Before you launch your business idea, you need to test it against the opinion of complete strangers. If a complete stranger isn’t willing to buy it, then you’re selling an idea and not a solution.
“Even if you find a great problem to solve, you are only as good as you invoice and collect. If you can’t invoice and collect, you’re just working on an expensive hobby. If you can find a problem to solve and you can get a complete stranger to pay you – oh my goodness – who cares what it looks like!” — Rick West
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Rick West:
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/
Show notes by Podcastologist: Justine Talla
Audio production by
You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.