Leigh Marz and Justin Zorn: Silence is the Key to Intuition
Leigh Marz is an author, leadership coach, and collaboration consultant. She has led diverse initiatives, including a training program to promote an experimental mindset among multi-generational teams at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center and a decade-long cross-sector collaboration to reduce toxic chemicals in partnership with the Green Science Policy Institute, Harvard University, IKEA, Google Green Team, Kaiser Permanente, and many others.
Justin Zorn has served as both a policymaker and a meditation teacher in the US Congress. On Capitol Hill, he served as Legislative Director to three Members of Congress. As a writer, he has been a contributor to publications including Harvard Business Review, The Washington Post, Time, Newsweek, The Guardian, The Atlantic, Wired, The Nation, The American Prospect, Foreign Policy, and CNN. His book, with Leigh Marz — Golden: The Power of Silence in a World of Noise was published with HarperCollins in the US and Penguin in the UK, translated into 13 other languages, and reached the top ten bestsellers list on the Audible charts in the US.
In this episode, Dean Newlund, Leigh Marz, and Justin Zorn discuss:
- The power of silence
- How to notice the noise and tune into the silence
- A deeper look at Leigh and Justin’s strategies in facilitations and coaching
- The power of silence in difficult situations
- Silence is the absence of noise or any unwanted distraction (auditory, informational, and internal) and is a state of awareness in which no one interferes with our perceptions and intentions. When we make more space for silence in our lives, we can tune into that presence that has an inextricable link to intuition.
- Apart from meditation, there are practical ways to deal with the noise in your ears, on your screen, or in your head. What brings you quiet is valuable, whatever that may be.
- Culture facilitates, enables, and leads toward distraction or leads toward this kind of state of pristine attention. The goal is to increase team and organizational awareness of the noise and distractions that permeate a culture and design experiments by finding immersive silence from time to time.
- We all need silence at times, particularly when we are engrossed in a habit, in that energy, or even in a heated conflict.
“It’s worth building some capacity in all these different directions and taking that time for ourselves – noticing when we’re feeling the noise in our bodies, in our relationships, that tension, the emotional content of that the signals that we’re being saturated by noise, but also noticing when we’re actually feeling relieved of that and feeling that sense of presence and silence and quiet.” — Leigh Marz
Get a copy of Leigh and Justin’s book, Golden: The Power of Silence in a World of Noise:
Connect with Leigh Marz:
Connect with Justin Zorn:
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/
Show notes by Podcastologist: Angelica Rayco
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.