Katie Burkhart: The Benefits of a Purpose Driven Company
Katie Burkhart is the mastermind behind mlOS, the system for running a purpose-driven business, and has quickly become one of the go-to experts in the space. She’s a serial entrepreneur, keynote speaker, minimalist designer, jargon slayer, and sharp communicator. She synthesizes connections that enable humans to make the most of the time they invest in their work.
In this episode, Dean Newlund and Katie Burkhart discuss:
- What does a non-purpose-driven organization look like
- Being efficient for a purpose
- The first step to being a purpose-driven company
- Adapting your mission and vision
- A company that’s not purpose-driven is hyper-focused on efficiency – their most significant concern is how they can make as much money as possible and nothing else.
- Efficiency for efficiency’s sake doesn’t work for human beings. Efficiency is excellent, but it’s a means to an end – the end being your organization’s purpose.
- The first step to becoming a purpose-driven company is to listen. Listen to your team, listen to your leaders, listen to your customers, and of course, listen to your intuition. We need to understand what’s happening and engage our people in what must be done while getting the leadership involved.
- It could last you for a hundred years if you set a powerful purpose. However, do check your mission and vision statement – once a year for the former and once every three years for the latter at least. We live in a world that constantly changes, and our mission and vision can adapt to that while still being aligned to our purpose.
“Money is not the purpose of the company; it’s the outcome of effectively pursuing your focus purpose… Making money as a resource, not as the goal…” — Katie Burkhart
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Katie Burkhart:
Medium: https://medium.com/matterlogic | https://medium.com/@katieburkhart
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/matterlogic | https://www.linkedin.com/in/katharineburkhart
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/