Dr. Marcia Reynolds: Intuition and Emotion
Dr. Marcia Reynolds, president of Covisioning LLC, is fascinated by the brain, especially what triggers feelings of connection, commitment, and possibility. She has trained and coached leaders in 41 countries and has presented at the Harvard Kennedy School and Cornell University as well as universities in Europe and Asia.
Dr. Reynolds is a pioneer in the coaching profession. She was the 5th global president of the International Coach Federation. Currently, she is the training director for the Healthcare Coaching Institute in North Carolina. She is also on faculty coaching schools in Russia, The Philippines, and China. Outside of the schools, she teaches Leader as Coach classes to organizations around the world and consults with them to build coaching cultures. She is recognized by Global Gurus as the #5 coach in the world.
In this episode, Dean Newlund and Marcia discuss:
- How to outsmart our brains and change our behavior.
- Recognizing intuition: our nervous system signals.
- That we usually make our decisions with emotions and then try to justify them with logic.
- Pulling our decisions out of our head and examining how our emotions played into it.
- It takes courage and curiosity to open your head. Gratitude, compassion, and care to open your heart. While our emotions and gut are our command center.
- A “Baby stare”, or an experience a person may have never encountered or made sense of before, takes time to process because we interpret things based on our past experiences.
- Trust yourself, step back and take a look at your emotions. Ask yourself what you expected to happen, and if you can.
- To develop your self awareness give yourself permission to react, and then examine the physical reaction to adapt and learn from it.
- Knowing the difference between an emotional reaction and my intuition. Understanding they are both possible at the same time, and both play a factor in making a conscious choice
“If you can understand what triggers your emotions then maybe you can get your needs met.” — Dr. Marcia Reynolds
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Dr. Marcia Reynolds:
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/
Show notes by Podcastologist: Kristen Braun
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.