Dr. Katrina Burrus: Working with a Brilliant Jerk
Dr. Katrina Burrus is CEO of Excellent Executive Coaching LLC and is known for Fast-tracking inspiring leaders to the C-Suite and for Transforming Brilliant Jerks into Inspiring Leaders.
She is a keynote speaker and author of, “Managing Brilliant Jerks” and, “Global Leadership,” a body of work used by Nestle, Novartis, the World Health Organization, the International Labor Organization, and the United Nations to name a few. She was recently featured in Mexico, India, Kazakhstan, and Russia.
Dr. Burrus has 20 years of experience as the first Master Certified Coach and Founding Board Member from the International Coaching Federation in Switzerland.
In this episode, Dean Newlund and Dr. Katrina Burrus discuss:
- What is a brilliant jerk?
- What enables a brilliant jerk’s behavior
- Reasons behind the making of brilliant jerks
- Following up on brilliant jerks
- A brilliant jerk is often experienced as abrasive, hurtful, often attacking, but charming in some situations. What separates them from plain jerks is that they are competent and therefore have seen great success in the past.
- A brilliant jerk’s behavior is often enabled by passive leadership, lack of feedback, or lack of follow-up from the feedback.
- There are many reasons why a person can become a brilliant jerk, many times it’s because their skills and attitude brought them success in the past and they think changing that might hinder them from succeeding in the future.
- Brilliant jerks can change – if they are willing to be coached through it. Give them the means to help themselves improve and they can do it.
“All the behaviors that they have been molded with are reflective of that lack or need. So they need to recreate behaviors that work, that are more conducive.” — Dr. Katrina Burrus
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Dr Katrina Burrus:
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/