Dr. Jen O’Ryan: Making Change Management a part of Diversity and Inclusion
Dr. Jen O’Ryan is an Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity strategist focused on helping people build authentically inclusive and welcoming companies. She brings a unique perspective to organizational change, combining a Ph.D. in Human Behavior with over 20 years of experience leading global launches of new consumer experiences, products, and policies.
A data geek at heart, Jen brings an extensive grasp of how people interact with technology, with each other, and with change. She is also the author of “Inclusive AF: A Field Guide for ‘Accidental’ Diversity Experts.” Designed for anyone thinking about Inclusion and Diversity, IAF explains how to launch meaningful and lasting change safely.
Outside of Inclusion and Diversity Consulting, Jen is a travel enthusiast and avid runner. She also has a strange affinity for bad 80’s music, getting lost in new cities, and scary movies.
In this episode, Dean Newlund and Jen O’Ryan discuss:
- The transition back to working in an office with others
- How interpersonal relationships change when you only see co-workers via Zoom
- The subtleties of communication details are lost with Zoom. What should be preserved, and what should change about meetings?
- What to think about with your “back to the office” plan after Covid
- Company cultures need to change to accommodate remote workers
- Culture is not always the same across a company; it often comes from each team
- We need to connect as humans first, and the business comes after
- Covid has changed company cultures in ways we never thought of previously
“if you look at corporate culture, it’s not like a blanket statement; people don’t align with that anymore. And it’s really ‘What is the culture of the team? What is the culture of the two or three people who work together all the time?’ That’s, that’s where the culture lives, not in the mission statement.” — Dr. Jen O’Ryan
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Dr. Jen O’Ryan:
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/