Dr. Akhtar Badshah: Purpose Mindset: Moving from Me to We to Bend the Arc of Humanity
Akhtar Badshah is a seasoned executive with over 30 years of international development experience, managing a corporate philanthropic program and co-founding a global nonprofit for social enterprise. Dr. Badshah is Chief Catalyst at Catalytic Innovators Group, advising individuals and organizations to catalyze their social and philanthropic investments.
Dr. Badshah is the Distinguished Practitioner at the University of Washington at the Evans School of Public Policy & Governance and the Business School, Bothell campus. He is the founder and curator of Accelerating Social Transformation, a mid-career professional development certificate course on social impact. Dr. Badshah led Microsoft’s philanthropic efforts for ten years, where he administered community investment and employee contributions.
He was instrumental in launching both Unlimited Potential and Youth Spark – the company’s focus to bring digital technology to the underserved communities and youth worldwide. His forthcoming book is titled Purpose Mindset: How Microsoft Inspires its Employees and Alumni to Change the World, Harper Collins Leadership Series, Nov 2020. Dr. Badshah is a doctoral graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
In this episode, Dean Newlund and Dr. Akhtar Badshah discuss:
- Rethinking what work looks like as we work remotely.
- Using this opportunity to reassess and build our sense of purpose.
- Focusing on the right things, not doing things the right way.
- Scarcity mindset vs. abundance mindset.
- What are your driving factors, purpose, wealth, or status?
- A growth mindset is in service of yourself or your company, while a purpose mindset moves you from the service of yourself and the company to the community’s service and the common good.
- Purpose centered leadership: work from abundance, discover and focus on your strengths, not your weaknesses.
- Embrace empathy and compassion.
“Doing work out in the community nourishes my soul that in turn enables me to serve the company.” — Dr. Akhtar Badshah
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Dr. Akhtar Badshah:
Book: Purpose Mindset: How Microsoft Inspires its Employees and Alumni to Change the World
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/