Andy McDowell: Breaking the Habit of Fear to Create Connection and Creativity
Andy McDowell is an engineer by trade and creative by nature. He is the founder of the entrepreneurial, and small business coaching and consulting firm, Generate Your Value, and is the co-host of The Generate Your Value Podcast. Andy spent 22 years with the Boeing Company, where he always felt more like a life coach than a boss. In 2002, he began his journey into entrepreneurship within a corporation when he was asked to develop an Airspace Design Consulting business from scratch that would serve the global government market. Andy has a Bachelor’s Degree from Georgia Tech in Electrical Engineering and a Master’s Degree in Computer Information Systems from Georgia State. Naturally, his aviation work took him around the world and enabled him to work on high-profile projects – such as preparing the Beijing and Sochi Airports for their respective Olympic Games. Andy would love to have a conversation with you about how he might be able to use his strategic skills developed from his years with the Boeing Company, to generate value in your personal and professional life. He has a keen sense for applying business concepts to life coaching, and life coaching concepts into business.
In this episode, Dean Newlund and Andy McDowell discuss:
- Why love is necessary for a team
- Intention and mindset
- Becoming self-aware of fear habits
- An atmosphere of emotional safety
- Love is the fuel for creativity and connectedness and therefore, teamwork. You have to at least respect people, acknowledge people, and meet them where they are at.
- Set a direction in your own life and open your mind to new experiences. Fuel your journey with love and have a mindset that focuses on growth.
- We have habits of fear that are deeply embedded within us because of the experiences that we had in the past. We must bring awareness into those deep things about ourselves so that we don’t transfer any anger or fear to other people.
- You need to cultivate an atmosphere of safety where people can talk honestly about what they feel. People will be encouraged to open up when leaders make an effort to reach out.
“Number one job of a leader is to build other leaders even if that means just to help them be a leader of themselves in their life.” — Andy McDowell
See Dean’s TedTalk “Why Business Needs Intuition” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq9IYvgV7I
Connect with Andy McDowell:
Connect with Dean:
The Mission Statement E-Newsletter: https://www.mfileadership.com/blog/
Show notes by Podcastologist: Justine Talla
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.